This is the banana bread cake recipe from the baking day. I have made it loads of times and it always turns out really well. It keeps lovely and moist wrapped in tin foil for up to a week (if it lasts that long!) I was talking to someone on the baking day and they put nuts into their banana bread cake – I shall certainly try that next time.
3 ripe bananas
225g (8oz) self-raising flour
175g (6oz) caster sugar
100g (4oz) butter softened
2 tablespoons of golden syrup
a pinch of salt
1. Pre-heat oven to 150c/300F/gas 2.
2. Peel bananas, slice into a bowl and mash with a fork until smooth.
3. Beat in all the remaining ingredients until smooth. This could also be done in a food mixer or food processor.
4. Spoon the mixture into a greased and lined with baking parchment 900g (2lb) loaf tin and bake for one and a quarter to one and a half hours until risen and firm to touch.
5. Leave to rest for 10-15 minutes before turning out of the tin.
6. The cake is now ready and can be served warm as a pudding or just left to cool.
1. For a richer ‘toffee’ flavour, replace the golden syrup with black treacle.
2. Melt some chocolate and pour over the top for a banana and chocolate cake.
3. For a nutty flavour, top the cake with 50g (2oz) of chopped nuts before placing in the oven.
4. For the ultimate finish, serve with vanilla Ice-cream and chocolate sauce.