2kg of frozen blackberries [no need to defrost]
6 tablespoons of lemon juice
300ml of water [can add a little more, for example, 100ml if the mixture is looking too thick]
Could use up to 1.2 kgs sugar [depends on volume of mixture- use 250gms sugar to 250ml of mixture]
• Put two small places or saucers in the freezer. Put the frozen berries in a large pan with the water and lemon juice
• Bring to the boil and gently simmer for about 15-30 minutes or until the fruit has softened.
• Measure the fruit mixture and add 250gms sugar for every 250ml of mixture.
• Add the sugar and stir over a low heat for 5 minutes till all dissolved. Return to the boil and boil vigorously, stirring to ensure it is not sticking on the base of the pan.
• Remove any scum that has formed after the first 5 minutes with a large spoon.
• When the jam falls from the tilted wooden/melamine spoon [metal spoons retain heat] in a sheet/ large mass, without dripping, start testing for setting point.
• If set, turn off heat, remove any remaining scum from the surface.
• Spoon immediately into clean warm jars and seal with lid if a pulpy jam. Otherwise let the mixture stand for a couple of minutes to allow the fruit to settle evenly [See separate Jam notes].
• Leave jars to stand, cool and set without moving.
Makes between 2-3 litres